Kootenays South BMO Academy Centre
Led by Kootenays South Head Coach, Reynold Stewart, the Kootenay South BMO Academy is a step on the pathway to BCSPL, Girls Elite/Boys MLS, professional soccer, scholarships, and national team opportunities. BMO Academy players earn opportunities to showcase their talent, including events like the High-Potential Player (HPP) program. BMO Academy players also have the opportunity to be invited to the Prospects program, which includes additional training, and a connection to the clubs Pre Girls Elite and Pre Boys MLS academies in Vancouver. Kootenay U15 to U18 also have the opportunity for invitation to the Kootenays Caps 2 College program.
The Whitecaps are in partnership with KSYSA – Kootenay South Youth Soccer Association. This includes head coach, Reynold Stewart, delivering a technical services contract and connecting KSYSA players and staff to enhanced opportunities and resources within the Whitecaps club system and Canadian network.
Boys & Girls Academy
Spring programming details will be posted shortly.
Add on the Whitecaps Virtual Academy to your training plan! Elevate your performance with live personalized supplemental coaching from Whitecaps head staff.
Associate Head Coach
Birthplace: Victoria, BC
Hometown: Tsawwassen, BC
Years with Whitecaps FC: 4
Certification: Provincial B License
Playing Experience: Douglas College, University of British Columbia, Whitecaps FC U23
Coaching Experience: Vancouver Whitecaps FC Kootenay Academy
It starts with a goal
Whitecaps FC and BMO share a commitment to developing soccer talent across the country. With World Cup 2026 fast approaching, the Whitecaps FC BMO Academy System helps provide a foundation for Canada’s soccer future.
> BMO ACADEMY CENTRES
Provincial Centres are in many cases in partnership with provincial soccer associations. Players identified here have a pathway to the Whitecaps Boys Residency and Girls Elite REX programs in Vancouver. BC Centres are part of the local pathway and provide players with an opportunity to support selection to the BCSPL (BC Soccer Premier League), as well as the Whitecaps Prospects, and full time academies. All centres are supported by the Whitecaps Caps to College program.
> PRE-BOYS MLS ACADEMY AND PRE-GIRLS ELITE
Prior to entering the Boys MLS Academy and Girls Elite REX teams, players can also be selected into the Full time and funded Whitecaps FC Pre-MLS Academy and Whitecaps FC Pre-Girls Elite program. Players at U-14 players train four times per week with regular competitive matches against select competition which also includes tournament travel. In addition a part-time U-13 program includes select players remaining with their BCSPL club, and training with Whitecaps FC once per week.
> WHITECAPS FC BOYS MLS ACADEMY
A full-time, fully funded player development program. The Academy is designed to maximize a player’s potential on and off the field through a “soccer lifestyle” philosophy linking technical, personal development and education. The program includes over 65 players with the Academy housing U-15, U-17 and U-19 teams that play in the new MLS Elite Youth Development League.
The Academy continues to develop top young talent from across Canada at the club’s new Whitecaps FC National Soccer Development Centre (NSDC) which opened in 2017. In the past year, five players from the Academy ranks have signed MLS contracts with the Whitecaps FC first team, with Academy graduate Alphonso Davies making an MLS record transfer to perennial German Bundesliga
> WHITECAPS FC GIRLS ELITE REX
Whitecaps FC, BC Soccer, and Canada Soccer have partnered together to deliver a Super REX (Regional EXCEL) Centre, which brings together top female prospects from across Canada to attend school, train, and play together on a daily basis.
This Super Rex program is one of only three in Canada – (BC, Ontario and Quebec) welcoming the very best U-14 to U-18 high performance female players on a pathway to national team and scholastic opportunities.
Across Canada the Whitecaps FC identify and select players by working together with Canada Soccer, and through official partnerships with the provincial associations of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador, and Prince Edward Island. Recent Academy graduate Jordyn Huitema is a key member of the Canadian national team and has recently signed with French Division 1 club Paris Saint-Germain.
> WHITECAPS CAPS TO COLLEGE
College and university scholarship opportunities are one of the goals of the BMO Academy System. Players have support from Whitecaps head coaching staff and college transition experts to prepare for the best opportunity to play in college and university.
Off Field the program is Led by Whitecaps Manager of Collegiate Transition, Ryan Clark who works towards supporting and executing player scholarship strategies.
> WHITECAPS BMO ACADEMY CENTRE HPP (High Potential Prospects)
Recognizing the need to connect players across the academy network beyond training, the Whitecaps HPP program provides some exciting network opportunities, incentives and recruitment for identified players while training in their respective academy locations.
- Influence and identify HPP’s across BC
- Specialized training and event opportunities in Vancouver.
- Training and competing with Whitecaps FC Academy centre teams at selected tournaments.
- Scouting opportunities and placement with partnered BCSPL clubs.
- Influence and identify HPP’s across Canada
- Player identification events for entry into Whitecaps FC Boys MLS Academy and Girls Elite REX Programs
U13 and U14 – (2007 & 2006)
- November – Select teams invited from each BMO provincial academy centre
- February – Small group of players may return February for further assessment
- April – Smaller group of players come back in April for further assessment
- May – Final selections
U15 and U16 – potential U17 and U18
- March break – Team combine
- Players identified – either stay for another week or come back in April
- May – Final selections
Professional: Players aspire to reach and play for the Whitecaps FC in Major League Soccer (MLS)
Development Squad: An extension of the First Team, bridging the club’s top academy prospects and MLS roster
BMO Academy Centres: A coast-to-coast network of Centres and staff identify young talent and provide a gateway to professional soccer, scholarships, and national teams programs, including a pathway to Vancouver with the Boys MLS Academy and the Girls Elite REX program
Camps / Tournaments / Clinics: Events and camps provide opportunities to be developed and identified
Code of Conduct
Our Code of Conduct establishes principles for team officials, players, parents, guardians, and spectators to ensure soccer is a fun, safe, and positive experience for all. It is a condition that all participants read and agree to abide by the Code of Conduct at all times. Failure to comply with them will result in action from Whitecaps FC.
- Respect everyone and everything
- Leave things better off then you found them
- Do the best you can
For more information on our Code of Conduct, please click here.
At Whitecaps FC providing a safe and supportive environment for athletes to practice, learn, compete, and achieve their best is one of our primary objectives. We are committed to creating and maintaining an equitable, and non-discriminatory environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity.
Please click here for more information on Safe Sport.
All new policies and procedures were set in accordance with Canada Soccer’s Return to Soccer guidelines.
Here’s an overview of all the new processes and procedures we’re introducing.
- Safety Officer at every location
- Enhanced hygiene and sanitization
- Comprehensive, carefully-planned procedures
For more information on Safety Protocols, please click here.
1. Received more than 14 days before the start of a phase, will be subject to a 10% administration fee on the registration amount paid.
2. Received less than 14 days but more than 2 days before the start of a phase, will be subject to a 20% administration fee on the registration amount paid.
3. Received less than 2 days before the start of a phase will not be granted.
4. Registration refunds for medical reasons can only be processed upon receipt of a note from a medical professional. These refunds will be subject to a 10% administration fee, plus a fee for any sessions transpired.
5. Approved refunds can take up to six weeks to process.
6. No partial refunds will be issued for individual sessions missed by the participant.
7. Whitecaps FC reserves the right to move players to the appropriate training group.
8. In the event that a session is cancelled due to weather, we will do our best to reschedule.
9. Every player participating in the academy is required to be registered with a soccer club in their province.
Whitecaps FC Administration – email@example.com or 1.855.932.1932